From:
Jim Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:45:07 -0500
Dear listers (and pardon the cross):

I'm reading an indictment for illegal gaming.  The games played at Paul
Verdier's tavern in Orange County, VA in 1803 were "whist, Loo, All
fours and three up."  I know what the first three are.  Can anyone
explain "three up"?  By the by, one of those busted at the game was the
future president James Madison.  Think of him trying to run TODAY.
Can't you see the headlines and debate topics.

Best wishes and thanks in advance.

Jim Watkinson

James D. Watkinson, Ph.D.

Archives