From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 00:28:22 -0400
Lyle,

In his narratives (I'd have to look it up to cite a page), John Smith
mentions that the invaders were sometimes shot when the were outside the
fort performing "natural functions" which I recognized as going to the
bathroom.

And, yes, Smith did not go into anything about a lot of Native ways. If you
read some of Helen Roundtree's books you can get a better view of some of
them, but I don't remember her mentioning toileting, but she put some
details on their daily baths in the nearby rivers and creeks. She also
provides a more realistic picture of the Huskanaw ceremony that Smith and
companions thought was murder of the children. Apparently they gave used no
logic to come to that conclusion since the tribe could not continue if the
males were routinely killed at puberty. Sure, the mothers cried - you see
the same thing every September outside an elementary school when the mothers
send their darlings to Kindergarten for the first time. The mothers cry all
the way home, but the children turn off the tears almost as soon as Mama is
out of sight.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert