From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:45:33 -0500
the whole thing is a fraud; there is zero evidence for a quilt code

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386
>>> [log in to unmask] 01/23/07 2:30 PM >>>
The 2300 American Slave Narratives in the American Memory collection
(http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/snhtml/snhome.html) gathered by the
Works Progress Administration between 1936 and 1938 would be a likely
source to find a mention of something in regard to codes and quilts.
They are fascinating documents and can be searched by keyword,  but I
obtained no results for the word quilt.
They are out of my specialty area but someone on the list may be
familiar with the content.

Also, at least some are on-line in summary form at:  http://
xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/wpa/index.html

Mary Moyars-Johnson  (MMJ)