From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 18:10:27 -0400
Joanne,

I agree with you on Maggie Walker. She was one of the founders of the
non-profit organization that became the bank, so she was in from the
beginning.

Since the SOLs were put into place in 2001, and perhaps his death was strong
in people's minds. I have received an email from someone who looked at my
African American page and pointed out that I had nothing about Ashe's
scholarship or the books he wrote that children/students enjoy. I think both
Ashe and Wilder were there because they were the first black in tennis and
in the governor's chair, and Ashe was also involved in speaking out against
the segregation with which he was all too familiar. When the SOLs were done
last, Wilder was "retired" to teaching in college and I doubt that his
return to politics was anticipated.

As to Harry Byrd, he could have been skipped but he did hold the state in
his sway for a generation, so he is infamous if not famous.

The problem with J. South's list is that other than Warner, I'd have to look
them up from scratch. Never heard of Goldstein, never read Wolfe, and don't
know anything about Powell except that his name begins with Honorable, so he
must have been a judge. Other than his short-lived marriage to Liz, there is
nothing outstanding about Warner.

Bear in mind that the SOLs in question are being taught to 4th graders, not
high schoolers. Think back to when you were 9 years old. Who were your
heroes, J. South?

Anne
Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert