From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 22:06:22 -0400
Anne,

You make several false assumptions in you message.
1. I am NOT a relative of the Jeffersons.......my wife is Thomas
Jefferson's first cousin, six generations removed, which has NO bearing
on my formation of the Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society, an ALTERNATE
to the public's desire for BOTH sides of the issue. I believe any decent
and patriotic individual, concerned with truth and fairness would have
done the same thing given the INSIDE information that I and others have
regarding the controversy.

2. In the case of the Hemings refusal to secure the DNA of William
Hemings, son of Madison, much more is known of this than the public is
aware of. I do not try to mischaracterize the Hemings family.......I try
to inform the public much of what has transpired in this study for 10
years.

3. Yes, I have personally spoken with many members of the Hemings and
Woodson families. I sat at the same table with the Woodsons at a
Monticello Assn. Annual gathering in the Omni Hotel in Charlottesville.
I attended meetings there also when the Hemings were there in "force."
Dan Jordan had nothing to do with these family functions.

4. You seem to think that all the Hemings claims I do not believe. As I
have said in earlier posts, the source of the Jefferson DNA was an
admitted descendant of "an uncle Jefferson" therefore, by hiding that
fact from Nature Dr. Foster, in my opinion, set in motion a FIASCO. I
cannot speak for the Eston Hemings family who are white or the Madison
Hemings family who are black, but I believe a test of William Hemings
would add much to the science of this study.

5. I am sorry that you view me as a noisy interloper and I suppose you
would categorize 13 prominent and well known black, white, male and
female members of the Scholars Commission in that same category. We are
speaking from serious and detailed study while you speak with other
unrelated suppositions.

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian