From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:45:55 -0500
All very well said.  I could not come up with the 'facing'  categories, but
they express my thoughts.

re the 18th century, I am biased toward Thomas Jefferson sort of on both
counts.  Of course the Declaration of Independence as outward facing, but
the as gov of Virginia and most establishing a system of education in the
Commonwealth, not the least of which is THE University.

On the other hand, after  listening to '1776' I must nominate George
Washington as the greatest outward-facing Virginian.  Without his ability to
lead, inspire and compromise, we might all be singing "God Save the Queen",
and playing crickett instead of baseball.

Randy Cabell