From:
"Wilmer L. Kerns" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:59:42 -0500
There were Roman Catholics in Frederick County, VA as early as 1750, though
not organized nor recognized. Examples were Bryan Bruin, who was a land
investor/speculator, and the Humphrey family, believed to have been Irish
Catholics. They were not allowed to take communion in the Parish unless they
were willing to sign a statement denouncing transubstantiation.

Bruin sold his property in Winchester in 1785 and moved with other families
to the vicinity of Baton Rouge or Natchez. In 1787, Bruin petitioned the
Spanish Governor to allow him to settle there because his family was Roman
Catholic and wanted to live in a territory where the Catholic Church was
recognized.  His son, Peter Bryan Bruin (1756-1827) became involved in
politics, serving as mayor of Bayou Pierre, and later appointed by President
John Adams to become Judge of the Territorial Court of Mississippi. Bruin
presided over numerous trials including the one of Aaron Burr in 1807.

I believe there were numerous Roman Catholic families in the Valley of
Virginia during the mid-to-late-18th century, but without organization or
recognition. The Church in Bedford County may have been an exception.
Apparently, the Roman Catholics were not organized in Winchester until the
1790s.

Wilmer L. Kerns