From:
Jim Huffaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:44:53 -0400
Not to dispute any turning points but I never see a claim that Kings
Mountain was a turning point. That battle was less than an hour and a
complete victory for the east TN, sw VA, and western NC settlers here over
Ferguson. The "Southern Campaign", strategy ended. Prior to that battle was
the Battle of Island Flats in which my ancestor participated in 1776, also
pivotal?

The British had promised the Cherokee that in return for their loyalty to
the Crown, they would be rewarded by the land occupied by settlers when war
ended. Dragging Canoe and Old Abram brought a war party to fight the
settlers at Island Flats near Long Island of the Holston. The Cherokee were
badly beaten (twice) and Dragging Canoe's leg was broken and the Cherokee
took themselves out of the War. Had the Cherokee continued belligerent, I
have serious doubts if 900 settlers +/- would have left their families and
farms unguarded to go fight Ferguson at Kings Mountain.