From:
Loretta Kelldorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 19:47:54 -0500
Is it possible to enlist the assistance of your local tiers of government,
the Chamber of Commerce and whatever local Economic Development Council you
may have to reinforce your pleas for more funding?   Large libraries should
be viewed as an "industry" that  attracts people spending money to an area.
These "users" impact many service industries in a community as they use
transportation,  hotel and food  services among others.   The number of
visitors to the library spending dollars, not only in the library but in the
community as well,  must have a significant impact  on the economics of a
community as each dollar spent has a multiplier effect in the community.

It is unfortunate that many politicians and public servants in government
view large libraries as "end users" of the tax dollar when in reality they
are agents multiplying tax dollars in the community.  I suspect  that when
library  administrators learn to use this argument and back it up with
figures,  they will have a more generous audience in the  budget committee.
Public libraries should have vigorous marketing of their services   just as
other industries do.

I hope this idea will grow and be fruitful.
Loretta
In Texas