From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 19:32:11 EDT
I found a very interesting notice and article in the Alexandria VA Gazette,
March 15, 1880...A public announcement that two state senators, C.T. SMITH
(of Nelson Co) and J. T. STOVALL (of Henry Co), had apparently "made up"
following what sounds like a rather noisy exchange in on the floor of the
state Senate in Richmond.  It also looks like friends or possibly lawyers got
involved to facilitate the amicable adjustment of differences.

I don't believe that today's conflicts in that august chamber result in
subsequent public announcements that all is well....but I could be wrong, yet
again.

Does anyone have any idea whether this sort of public statement was common
back then?  If so, for what period of time would that have been the case?

Also, what faction would have been considered "readjusters" in the phrase
below:  "republicans and some readjusters"?

Below you will find the brief statement and an article that it looks like is
taken from the "Rich. Commonwealth", and I am not sure exactly what that was.
 It could be a newspaper (though I looked around and found none) or the
byline of the Gazette's correspondent in Richmond.

I went back to the date of the encounter, March 9, and looked at the editions
of the paper for the next few days but did not find any more coverage, so I
don't know what the "Henry resolutions" referred to below were about.  Being
as how 1880 was an election year, I would imagine there was alot of "dodging"
of votes, just there is now...Again, some things never change.

Best Regards,

Janet Hunter -- Step-Cousin to all (including the John Stovall below) -- and
bona fide cousin to many -- descendants of Bartholomew Stovall and Anne
Burton Stovall, as (a) a descendant of John Saunders, Anne's second husband,
and likely guardian of some of her younger children (according to one of the
Stovall books); and (b) via several Stovall marriages to siblings of my
direct ancestors.

From the Alexandria Gazette, March 15, 1880

The Smith-Stovall Affair.

To the Public:  All matters of difference growing out of the discussions in
the Senate chamber on the evening of the 9th instant between Hons. C. T.
Smith and J. T. Stovall have been amicably and honorably adjusted.

J. D. PATTON for C. T. Smith
Wm. E. BOISEAU, for J. T. Stovall.

We assent to the above statement

C. T. Smith
J. T. Stovall

Richmond, March 13, 1850.
       __________

It has been known for several days since the adjournment of the Legislature,
the 9th instant, that a correspondence has been going on between the two
senators above named in regard to ofsive [sic] language used by Senator John
T. Stovall, of Henry, in reply to a charge made in debate by Senator C. T.
Smith, of Nelson, that Senators Fulkerson, French, Paul, Riddleberger,
Stovall, of Henry, and Wood, had "dodged" a vote on the Henry resolutions,
which threw the Senate in its expiring hours into such excited convulsions
and caused such a flutter with the republicans and some readjusters.

By the voluntary intercession of friends the aforesaid correspondence has
been withdrawn, and the affair, we are glad to say, terminated as above shown.

Senator Riddleberger, who was occupying the floor when he gave Mr. Smith
leave to read the names of senators who had not voted on said resolutions and
to comment thereon, wrote Mr. Smith the next day, in reply, in the following
manly words:  "At no time did I feel any bad blood in the matter or intend
any offence to you, and was highly amused at the whole performance."  Neither
did either of the other five senators included in the said charge take
offence at such a common charge except Mr. Stovall, of Henry.  The
explanation for such unwarrantable conduct on his part is, that on the desks
by him there HAD BEEN (in italics) three "whiskey cocktails."  Men of his own
party, and personal friends, admitted that he was clearly in the wrong
throughout, and the President of the Senate so ruled.  His coarse allusions
to Senator Smith, of Nelson, were unprovoked.  The conduct and bearing of
Senator Smith, manly and gentle as usual, was in striking contrast with the
unparliamentary, vulgar rantings of the TOO-SPIRITED (in italics) senator
from Henry, who undertook to display courage when no insult was offered or
intended, and when such inexcusable conduct was against the dignity of the
Senate, to which he was forced to apologize for initiating a disgraceful
scene.

All sides sympathized with Senator Smith in such a trying ordeal.
Intoxicating liquors and intoxicated men should not be tolerated in any
legislative body.--RICH. COMMONWEALTH. (in italics)