From:
Bruce Terrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:19:02 -0500
Hi James
I had a xerox that I made from an 1894 reprint of the original edition of
1784 edited by Paul Leicester Ford, Historical Printing Club, Brooklyn.
Chapter 2 (Rivers), p. 24, para 5, "Rappahanock affords 4 fathom water to
Hobb's hole, and 2 fathom from thence to Fredericksburg."  You can also find
it here:
http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=JefVirg.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&amp;part=2&division=div1

I do have to say that when I was taking notes yesterday, I was moving
quickly and interpreted it to mean 4 fathoms at the "hole" but looking at it
now I see the river channel is the intent.  But other secondary sources
indicated that the "hole" referenced a deeper anchorage at the shoreline.
I'd like to follow that up w/ some considered research.

Also, I don't think I made myself clear that the reason 17th century
lighterage was possible was because of the mouth of Hoskin's Creek which
would provide a protected area from which to load and unload lighters free
from the current of the river.

Cheers,
Bruce