From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 23:47:53 -0400
On Jul 1, 2007, at 10:08 PM, Anne Pemberton wrote:

> Lyle,
>
> I just checked google for a couple of sites. You can interpret them
> as you will:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Turner
>
> http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/natturner/
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part3/3p1518.html
>
> http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USASturner.htm
>
> http://www.melanet.com/nat/nat.html
>
> http://www.historybuff.com/library/refslave.html
The "story" of Nat Turner is well known and does not differ
substantially among any of the URL's you list.

> This is from the first entries in Google. I overlooked none of
> them. It would seem that "mass murder" is in the eyes of the
> beholders. To put down this "insurrection", hundred of blacks were
> tortured and killed. So, who were the "mass murderers"?
Another fine example of relativism. Nat Turner was an exemplar of how
not to achieve a goal. His actions were exactly what the
establishment feared most and which would naturally enough play into
anyone's fears. The reaction was almost primal. The result was that
innocent people were killed, laws were passed that were ever more
draconian in response and the cause of freedom for black people was
set back even farther. What an amazingly good definition of futility.
Turner's intellectual contribution to history was his belief that
white people were to be killed as a means of starting an
insurrection. No real plan, just a sort of generalized instruction to
slaughter. That is no comparison worth mentioning as compared with
that of GW & TJ. Thanks for proving my point.

Lyle