From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 01:14:38 -0400
Neil, I do not know a Joseph Ellis, so do not know how you can presume he
told me anything. I only know Jon Kukla from the list and from seeing his
books around and about. And, as I've said before, I've not read Ms.
Gordon-Reed's books at all. I have read a number of books about Jefferson by
various authors, and some works by Jefferson himself. I would not hold
myself out as an authority on Jefferson, but I'm not out in left field
either. And, I don't generally decide not to read certain books because
someone declares them "revisionist history". If the topic is within my
interests and I can read the book, I do so. I've read Dumas Malone, (Sage of
Monticello) as someone recommended some time back, and I found it to be a
stuffy uninteresting book, more of an apology for Jefferson being a human
being, than anything else.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert