From:
Barbara Vines Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:00:31 -0400
Tax lists included all taxable people or things. You will find variation if
slaves were being rented (most contracts called for the person renting the
slave to pay the tax) or if people moved in or out---a father usually paid
taxes on a child living at home or someone else in the household---servant,
hired hand or relative--but not always.

Your differences in the way the tithables were listed is probably because
you were looking at a tithable list when the names of the slaves were
included and a tobacco list when they were not.

Barbara Vines Little, CG
PO Box 1273
Orange, VA 22960
phone/fax 540-832-3473 (evenings)

CG is a service mark of the Board for Certification of
Genealogists®, used under license by board-certified associates who meet
genealogical competency standards prescribed for those programs.