From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2014 19:41:12 +0000
I've looked at several years of Stafford County land tax lists and think I have an answer -- instinctive, but perhaps not definitive:

In 1838 (and 1840) Thomas TIMMONS Senr. is shown as owning three parcels in Stafford County:
489 acres - Old Mine - [1 mi?] S - $3/ac, [no improvements], $1467 total value, $1.47 tax.
150 acres - Hartwood - [?]2 W - $4/ac, [no improvements], $600 total value, $[0].67 tax.
148 1/2 ac - Deep Run - 15 W - $6/ac, $258 improvements, $891 total value, $[0].90 tax.
[Alexander O'Bryhim not shown]

In 1843 Alexander O'BRYHIN[?] is shown:
" [resides Stafford], life est., 140 acres, Old Mine - $1.90/ac, " " [improvements columns, dollars/cents], $361 total value, $0.53 tax. Remarks: "From Thomas TIMMONS Senrs. Estate / Par[titione]d 1843, Lot No. 1 being Mary TIMMONS (now Orphans) [?] / in her Father's Estate."

From surrounding entries it appears that if a column REQUIRES a value (residence, location/direction, value per acre), then the ditto marks (") indicate that the value above should be repeated.  For example: You should never find an entry with the value per acre set at zero.

If the column value can be null, then the ditto represents a blank.   This seems to be reserved for specific monetary columns:  cents column of the value per acre (perhaps, but often blank); dollars/cents columns for value of improvements, cents column of total value, and dollar column of tax.  If the dollar column or cents column is zero, that is usually represented by the ditto (") as a place holder.  The U.S. census takers 1790-1840 often used a similar convention (") when marking nulls on each line of the printed schedules.

I conclude that in 1843 Alexander O'BRYHIN's land had no significant improvements on his land (were worth less than $100).  Does this make sense?

Don

Donald L. Wilson, Virginiana Librarian
The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center
for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)
Prince William Public Library System
Bull Run Regional Library
8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA 20109-2892
703-792-4540
www.pwcgov.org/library/RELIC

Stafford County, Alexander O'Bryhim and Thomas Timmons are the two I'm chasing. Started in 1836 and took it up to 1880. T.Timmons is the FIL of Alex.

Lyle