From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2014 18:22:58 -0400
In reading the Land Tax Records, I often see " for several entries below a number. I have interpreted this as being an equals mark such that if the number equalled 1200, then the values for the buildings also equalled 1200. But I have also noted that there are entries for which there are no " listed. That brings up the issue of whether the " means equal to the value above or whether it means no buildings. Where there are no " marks in the column, I am working under the interpretation that it means no buildings.

What's the standard interpretation for this little wrinkle?

Thanks,

Lyle Browning