From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:20:54 -0400
Excellent article, which of course means that I agree with her.

The BIG thing to keep in mind  -- and I belateldy came to the realization
day before yesterday -- is that unlike the 1807, 1907 and 1957 celebrations,
NOBODY is in charge of this one.  Lots of people have individual pieces, and
based on what I have read, nobody mentions anybody else.  I have identified
the following with presence or programs for 2007.

- The 'Official' Virginia Cele...... uh...... 'Commemoration'  assigned by
the Commonwealth  to be managed by the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
www.historyisfun.org

- The 'Celebration' of Jamestown for a refreshing balance (although some
will accuse them of  overbalancing to the other extreme) to put God back
into Jamestown     www.jamestown400.org

- The APVA.  I think the results of their efforts are folded into the
JYFoundation site, but not sure

- The National Park Service - They have parks at both Jamestown and
Yorktown, and some person of stature in charge, but I don't know what they
are doing

And although apparently not producing any programs, we have to stir in
Colonial Williamsburg if you want to get tickets to the Official Virginia
thing.

At the moment (D minus 40 and counting), the most effective publicity on
Jamestown and what is was all about comes from the many individual writers
and musicians.  This rebirth of interest in taking a critical look at
Jamestown, the times, the Pilgrims, et al may turn out in the end to be the
most important legacy of Jamestown 2007.

A Suggestion to the Scholars out there.  A few weeks ago, I ran across a
good article in 1957 publication from the Virginia Historical Society
reviewing the trials and tribulations of pulling the 1907 Exposition
together.   David Kiracofe has done some excellent writing on the 1807 and
19th century Jamestown Jubilees, and may be gathering info on 2007.  But if
not, I suggest that now is the time for someone to sic a grad student on
pulling together info as we ramp up, some info which is perishable and may
not be around afterward.  And of course following the course of events for
2007 in all facets of the celeb.... uh commemoration to some and celebration
to others.  I forsee lots of charts and graphs :))  weekly ticket sales over
the 20 weeks prior, attendance at the major events,  Virginia infrastructure
(or lack thereof) to welcome visitors -- e.g. the wretched state of most
Commonwealth Welcome Stops, each striving to be the "Porta-Pottie-Capital of
the World" -- a refreshing exception, mercifully, being the one on I64
between Richmond and Williamsburg.  Count (content?) of books, articles,
etc.  All with the conclusion that.........

Randy Cabell