From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:34:07 -0400
A number of people were involved in iron production in Virginia and
Maryland. By the time of the American Revolution the colonies were
producing more iron than England. And half of that came from Virginia
and Maryland.

Below is a list of the blast furnaces that operated in Virginia
during the 18th century (by start date). These dates are derived from
the research I did for my MA (specifically on Albemarle) and are
considerably different from the traditionally accepted ones (very
little research had been done since K Bruce in the 1930s). Blast
furnaces produced high carbon, brittle cast iron. The iron needed for
most uses in the 1700s was low carbon, malleable wrought or bar iron.
this could be made directly in a bloomery or from cast iron in a
finery forge. Contrary to popular opinion most blast furnaces had
finery forges. But there were also lots of bloomeries in Virginia.

After the closing of Potomac/Accokeek there is no indication that
George Washington was engaged in the iron industry in Virginia. He
continued to be a Principio partner, but all operations were in
Maryland. However, this is a pretty open field. I suspect that like
most Virginians if GW wanted iron he bought it. I am sure that there
was a smithy at Mt Vernon,  but while it has been determined that
Washington was involved in a lot more than just agriculture, to date
there is no indication he was involved in iron production outside of
the Principio Co.

The Tayloe's were involved in Bristol (1st as factor, then as a
partner), Neabsco, Occoquan, and possibly Grimes Recovery. They did
take over Grimes' forge when he went out of business. Gov. Gooch,
along with Charles Chiswell, was a partner in Fredericksville.
Chiswell also operated another furnace. Alexander Spotswood was the
owner/operator of Tubal (it was neither at Germanna nor historically
ever called Germanna). Tubal may have been the first successful blast
furnace in North America (Saugus was the second in MA and never
successful, Tinton Falls, NJ may be the first but little is known
about it). Isaac Zane had two furnaces near Winchester- Zane's and
Marlboro. David Ross operated at least two furnaces at Oxford.
Fielding Lewis was involved in the iron industry, especially during
the Revolution in Fredericksburg.

17th & 18th

Virginia Blast Furnaces

Furnace Name                                            Dates of
Operation                 		Location

and Site Number							Begin      End Duration		(Modern County)

Falling Creek IW (44CF0007)				1619       1622
3                 Chesterfield

Tubal Works (44SP0012)                   		1716       1763
47                  Spotsylvania

Bristol IW (44WM0044) 					1721        1757         36 		 Westmoreland

Accokeek (Potomac 44SP0053) Fu.  		1726       1753
27                  Stafford

Fredericksville Fu. (44SP0043)           		1728       1760
32                 Spotsylvania

Chiswell Fu. (44HN0118)  				1733       1740         7      		  Hanover

Neabsco Fu. (44PW0629)  				  1737        1829        92 		  Prince
William

Occoquon Fu. (44PW0605)  			  	1755      1773        18 			  Prince
William

Grymes' Recovery Fu. (44SP0208)     		1757       1771
14                    Spotsylvania

Zane's Old Furnace (44FK0046)          		1768       1774
6                     Frederick

Albemarle IW (44AB0117)                      		1771
1772         1                    Albemarle

Marlboro IW (44FK0050)                        		1772
1795         23                Frederick

Callaway Fu. (44CP0155)                       		1775
1779           4                Campbell

Mossy Cr. Fu. (44AU0480)  				 1775       1841        66     		Augusta

Oxford IW (44CP0169/Unk)                     		1775       1817
42                 Campbell

Mt Ery Fu.(Marshall 44RM0361)
1780?                                           Rockingham

Maho Fu.(44RM0279)                               		1796
1816         20                Rockingham

Buckingham Fu. (44BK0304)                   		1778
1781           3                Buckingham

Isabella (Redwell) Fu. (44PA0127)           	1785       1841
56               Page

Washington Fu.(44FR0040/0251)            	1779       1850
71              Franklin      ©JH Brothers IV 2000

James Brothers, RPA