From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 12:28:30 -0400
There is both an obituary, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/
content/article/2008/05/05/AR2008050502439.html, and a poignant
tribute to Mrs. Loving, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/
article/2008/05/05/AR2008050502669.html, in today's Washington Post.

And the New York Times has an article at http://www.nytimes.com/
2008/05/06/us/06loving.html that differs in some particulars from the
Post's account.

A widow since 1975, Mrs. Loving was adamantly protective of her
privacy.  One hopes, however, that with her passing some skilled
historian can now write her and her husband's biography against the
full history of the momentous transformation they catalyzed.  They
wanted only the most ordinary human happiness, but in pursuing it
they earned the lasting gratitude of all Americans. May Mrs. Loving,
with her husband, rest in peace.

--Jurretta Heckscher

P.S.  I apologize to the list insofar as I may have contributed to
the explosion of heat rather than light on the Jefferson-Hemings
matter--which perhaps erupts seasonally, like tree pollen?  I join in
the call to turn to other topics, provided an exception be made for
Mr. Corneliussen's science-based review of the statistical analysis
already on the scholarly record.  That I requested, and that I expect
will be worth the attention of anyone not hopelessly fed up with the
subject.  Thereafter, surely, we can let the matter drop--at least
until the arrival of new scholarly contributions such as Henry
Wiencek's book on TJ and his slaves and Annette Gordon-Reed's
biography of the Hemings family, due out this fall.