From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 11:42:32 -0400
Thanks very much, Mr. Corneliussen, for raising this fair-minded
question.

The answer is that I have not read Ms. Burton's book, although that
has been more a function of time (this is not actually my area of
current research, and my reading time is limited!) than of absolute
unwillingness to do so, as I do find the Jefferson-Hemings question
relevant enough to my professional life in a couple of ways I need
not detail here to wish to keep abreast sooner or later of any
genuinely new information in the matter.  Your recommendation, along
with Henry Wiencek's, leads me to believe that I ought to look at the
Burton work on those grounds when I can find the time to do so.

"Jefferson Vindicated" may well be a useful entry in this hydra-like
debate, then.  My point, however, was that by giving her work such a
title--rather than, say, "The Jefferson-Hemings History: A
Reconsideration," or something similarly neutral--Burton tips her
hand, automatically arousing skepticism in the mind of anyone who
does not see the matter as one of vindication vs. conviction and
leading them to doubt her objectivity in the inevitable supposition
that she would not have undertaken any research that could have led
her to title her book (equally tendentiously) "Jefferson Convicted."

Your further point--expressed with admirable delicacy, I should add!--
that by criticizing Burton without reading her book, I indulge the
same a priori accusation of bad faith with which I charge Mr. Barger,
is fair but not quite on the mark, I think.  The difference is that I
do have evidence--her own book title--to question Burton's open-
mindedness to historical evidence, even before I have laid hands on
her work.  Mr. Barger, by contrast, adduces no evidence for his
shrill and sweeping charges implying that individuals on this list
(including myself) and the numerous scholars he berates on Amazon.com
suffer from biases of "political correctness," "historical
revisionism," or professional gullibility--except that we disagree
with him.

I look forward to your response to my query on the statistical
matter, from which I expect to learn something--after which I will
with pleasure turn to the countless other subjects so long eclipsed
on this list!

--Jurretta