From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 10:43:32 -0700
As far as homeschooling goes, my parents did not trust the educational
system. My mother and father gave us instruction, before we started school,
and even when we were in school. They gave us their version of history and
taught us to think for ourselves. My niece is homeschooling her son, here in
California, because public school has not been a good experience for him.
The school sends a tutor in twice a week, who monitors his progress. He has
friends, and social experiences, the only thing different is he does not
attend school.

Anita

>From: Susan Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: VA homeschooling
>Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:11:24 -0400
>
>Thank you, Joanne.  I appreciate that!
>
>Susan
>

>>From: qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: VA homeschooling
>>Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:21:22 -0700
>>
>>Crawl out from under that rock more often. Susan.  You made a good point.
>>--Joanne
>>
>>Susan Sheppard <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Whoa, wait. "They all seem"??
>>  Generalizations are ... what shall I say?
>>... well, maybe I'd best not try to complete that thought with more than,
>>generalizations aren't good.   Please don't "find" support for one thing
>>(SOLs) in things that are not related (use of structured Christian-based
>>curriculums).  Not "all" of any group think alike, work alike, study
>>alike,
>>sing alike, dance alike ...
>>
>>Homeschoolers don't all: homeschool for the same reason, have the same
>>philosophy, use the same curriculum ... or use a "curriculum" period.
>>They
>>don't all dress alike, although most probably do wear clothes (That's a
>>joke; there was an article, I don't remember where, a decade or more ago
>>that managed to imply that homeschoolers didn't wear shirts.  I assume the
>>writer intended to reference the male students, altho I seem to remember
>>that that wasn't entirely clear. ).  They do not all belong to the same
>>homeschooling organizations.  Some want and need all the guidance and
>>structure they can get; others want none of that.  Some might swear by
>>ABeka
>>or Bob Jones or KONOS, and others might swear at them.  [No attacks,
>>please!
>>I'm joking.]  And the later might swear *by* John Holt, and the former
>>might
>>never have heard of him or might be certain that he's the root of anything
>>weak in homeschooling.  Or might like John Holt but still choose to go a
>>different route.
>>
>>I don't know statistics re how many use structured curriculums and how
>>many
>>unschool (if my aging memory serves, that term was coined by Holt) or how
>>many "use" the SOLs or any given curriculum, boxed or otherwise.  Last I
>>knew, VA didn't require that information be recorded with the
>>counties/cities, so I'd assume coming up with "real" statistics would be
>>difficult.  Not to mention, unnecessary.
>>
>>OK, I'll go crawl back under my rock!
>>
>>Susan

>http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07

Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!
http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1