From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:40:08 -0500
The brand new issue of the JOURNAL OF AMERICAN HISTORY, dated March
2004, contains a brilliant discussion that is right on this point. I do
not have my copy with me and cannot give the precise citation, but the
lead article in the journal is the 2003 presidential address that Ira
Berlin gave to the Organization of American Historians.

His topic is the history of the history of American slavery and how that
history changed and was influenced by changing times and in turn
influenced those times and was used in different ways by different
people in different times and for different circumstances.

Everybody who has followed this discussion on Va-Hist this far will
certain find Ira Berlin's article interesting and pertinent to our
discussion.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us