From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:43:34 -0600
I have promised three or four times to stop posting on this but . . . .

I will make one more brief attempt to respond to Kevin's posting below,
with perhaps a slightly different approach.

Kevin seems to be arguing that those who fly the confederate flag do so
for essentially non-political, non-racist reason. THis is true, he
argues, even if the motivation for adding the flag was racist and
segregationist.

These is a level at which they may be true.  The child who flies a state
flag with the "stars and bars" on it may simply be waving the state
flag, without any political intent.

This however, does not mean that there is no political content to the
flag; it only means that the person using the flag does not know or
understand the content.  Someone viewing the flag, however, may still
see that content.

Let me offer what I hope will be a non-confrontational example:
A person living in a remote part of the globe who is not a Christian and
does not know anything about Christianity finds rosary beads, or a
crucifix, and starts wearing them.  I missionary arrives and assumes the
person is Catholic.  The person is not Catholic and does not accept
Catholic doctrine, but the Priest will assume otherwise, and plausible
act on that assumption.

Now, the issues here is not this stark.  Surely the modern person who
flys the confederate flag, or puts it on his truck, knows some of its
history, knows something of slavery, racism, the KKK, and all that has
historically been tied to the flag.  This modern flag flyer, at one
level, implicitly endorses this history, even if he says, no I don't.
If he is utterly ignorant of the past (like the person who wore the
crucifix), nevertheless, others will assume that the flag flyer is
endorsing the flag and its meaning.  Moreover, today, with all of the
controversy over the flag, it is unlikely that anyone would be unaware
that the has stood for racism and segretion, and was used in the 1960s
and beyond as a symbol of white supremacy.

Kevin writes:   "Thus, it seems to me a safe bet to presume that the
meaning of the Confederate flag today is something other than what it
was 50 years ago."  I would urge him to ask his African Americn students
if they think this is true.  Or better yet, put the flag on your lapel
and on your car, and visit your nearest AME Church this Sunday, and see
how people respond to you.

Paul FInkelman

--
Paul Finkelman