Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:35:07 -0400
History books should never be used as more than a small reference.  There are
plenty of primary sources to support exactly what you are saying about slavery.
The northern states, particularly New York, Rhode Island, Maine, and
Massachusetts, their ports full of outfitted ships to accomodate the slave
traders.  One excellent book you should use in your classroom is "Hanging
Captain Gordon" by Ron Soodalter.  Capt. Nathaniel Gordon was the only slave
trader to be executed under the Act of 1820, which made slave trade a hanging
offense.  If any of you are interested in a couple of primary sources relating
to this slave trade case, contact me, and I will be more than happy to provide
you with those digital images.  I wrote an article for the "Social Education"
magazine put out by NCSS, in Sept. of 2002, telling the story of Gordon.

It is a fascinating case.  He was executed in New York in the Toombs, the day
after Willie Lincoln died.  Lincoln refused to pardon him.

Karen Needles
Director
Lincolnarchives Digital Project
http://www.lincolnarchives.us