From:
JEFFREY D SOUTHMAYD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:39:41 -0400
It is my recollection that the largest slaveholder in Louisiana was a Black woman named Richard.  There were a number of very wealthy Black slaveholders in Louisiana and other Southern states.  Black Masters by Michael Johnson is one book on the subject. Black Slaveowners--Free Black Slave Owners in South Carolina 1790-1860 by Larry Koger is another.  A a very good portrait of a Black slaveowner is Andrew Durnford by Charles Daudert.

JDS