From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:31:26 -0400
Thanks, Connie,

So the line through Martiou went almost totally to females and skipped John
Washington altogether. I guess that's why Henry Wiencek didn't go into it in
the book... it wasn't a "guy thing". <grin> In the book, Wiencek says George
was descended from "middling planters", not from the high-n-mighty. But he
does say that the Washingtons had a history of "marrying up".

What I find interesting in the book (since it is not a boring tome on
geneology anyway) is the light it shines on Washington's change of heart
towards slavery in his later years culminating with freeing his slaves on
his death, and Martha's on hers.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert