From:
Walter Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 23:06:31 -0400
From: "Anne Pemberton" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: 06262124Z08 Secession

You asked: "And, I really don't know how the south expected......"

I can't answer that except to give you reference to the Paul Seabury and Angelo Codevilla book, "War: Ends &
Means", ISBN  0-465-09067-2, 1989, Basic Books. These two, one from UC at Berkeley and the other from Stanford
(hardly bastions of conservative thought), present a insightful view into what drives us to "fight to the death"
over issues, real and ideological. Any one who wants to look beyond their own convictions and weigh them against a
reasoned and dispassionate study of the motives that drive us to desperation and self-destruction and maybe even
mutual destruction won't be dissatisfied. These two know what they're talking about. And their analysis is on point
to both past and current events.

Regards, Ray

Walter,

I like your thoughts on secession. It will be interesting to see what comes
of, I think it is New Hampshire's threat to secede. Depending on how the
election goes and when the war in Iraq is ended, they may not want to secede
after all.

As you suggest, the sabre-rattling and offensive actions were taken by the
south, not by the USA. And, I really don't know how the south expected to
support itself as an independent nation considering its indebtedness to
England which was the basis of their objecting to the tariffs that promoted
manufacturing in the north. It's like selling on e-bay and spending more
there than you are earning.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert