From:
Joan Logan Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:33:05 -0400
From _A Hornbook of Virginia History_:

"NEWPORT NEWS (Warwick and Elizabeth City Counties):  It was for Sir William
Newce or for Captain Christopher Newport, or for both, that the town was
named. ..."

From _Virginia The New Dominion_ by Virginius Dabney:

May 10, 1610 Newport and Gates arrived with 16 days supplies at Jamestown
from Bermuda after having been shipwrecked in a hurricane the summer before.
All the colonists left June 7 in 4 boats to return to England and met
Brewster off Mulberry Island.  He carried word that Lord De la Warr was
arriving soon with reinforcements.  "Anchored off Fort Algernon, his
lordship had received the 'heavie newes' that the settlers were giving up
the colony and had sent Brewster to prevent it.  De la Warr's orders to
return to Jamestown were obeyed."
pp. 19-20

Now having proven that my "received knowledge" through oral history is in
error, I will once again retire to my lurker's corner in chagrin.  ;-)

Joan Logan Brooks
a Southside Virginian through 11 proven generations