From:
Joan Logan Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 15:24:16 -0400
Here is what I have on this lovely old song:

FRONT PAGE

"Supplement to the Normal Bulletin, Vol. IX, No. 6. October 1917

'Old Virginia'
A Song, Words and Music

This edition of 'Old Virginia' has been prepared, with the permission of the
owners for the use of teachers and pupils in the schools of Virginia. ...

State Normal School
Harrisonburg, Va."

text and music of song on center of sheet

BACK PAGE

"'Old Virginia' was written several years ago as a special feature for
'Songs of the People,' a collection of State and National songs very
suitable for school use, published by the Ruebush-Kieffer Company of Dayton,
Virginia.  The author of the words, Dr. John W. Wayland, is professor of
history and social scietice [sic] in the State Normal School of
Harrisonburg.  He is a native of the Valley of Virginia and a well known
writer, teacher, and lecturer on historical subjects.  The author of the
music, Prof. Will H. Ruebush, is the leader of the Second Virginia
Regimental Band, now in active service.  ...

We should have a State Song---why not make it 'Old Virginia,' the most
beautiful in sentiment and music yet composed! ..."

I know that this song was once again presented to the General Assembly circa
1998 for consideration as the new state song.

Joan Logan Brooks
a Southside Virginian through 11 proven generations