From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 16:38:33 -0400
The only attempt at a full biography of William Mahone that I know about is
Nelson Morehouse Blake's William Mahone of Virginia: Soldier and Political
Insurgent (Richmond: Garret and Massie, 1935), which was a revision of his
Ph.D. dissertation at Duke University in 1932. To his credit, Blake
recognized the significance of Mahone's papers (then in private hands) and
arranged for them to be brought to Duke University's library, apparently
unable to interest a Virginia institution in acquiring them.

That is good news that there are people at work on Mahone at present. Best
wishes for speedy and successful publication of their work.

John