From:
JEFFREY D SOUTHMAYD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:49:07 -0400
Let's not forget that the first slaves in the colonies were white Englishmen and women.  I don't think the text books go into any detail on that fact.  White Cargo by Don Jordan is a good book on that point.

I had forgotten to mention Black Southerners In Confederate Armies--A Collection of Historical Accounts by J. H. Segars.  These are accounts from contemporary sources.

On Black slaveowners, I also forgot to mention Black Property Owners in the South 1790-1915 by Loren Schweninger.  It goes into some detail on the extent of Black slaveownership by Black masters.

JDS