Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:36:20 -0800
The Williamsburg Foundation states that 88 historic buildings remain. Of these, only a few are pre-revolutionary and not re-constructed. I'd like to know the exact number. I think it is 20, but possibly only 19. Then again - maybe it depends on how much gutting counts, before it is counted as *reconstructed*, rather than *preserved*.

  Charleston, SC, has 73 pre-revolutionary buildings, and 136 from the late 18th century, and 600 more that are  pre- 1840.  I believe the difference between the two cities is that Charleston got a head start of about 10 years on Williamsburg.  That makes me think that every year of neglect counts. It also means that we should really pay more attention to our heritage and watch out for plans to modernize. We will loose enough from natural disasters.

  Langdon