From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:07:26 -0500
On Woodson, see Jacqueline Goggin, Carter G. Woodson: A Life in Black
History (LSU Press, 1993).  The book discusses the genesis of several
studies Woodson conducted based on census data, but not much directly on
this point.  Luther Porter Jackson's book on black property holding and
labor in Virginia discusses the phenomenon to some extent.

Analysis of the motivation for black slaveholding needs to account for the
vagaries of geography and law.  The white-black dichotomy doesn't properly
convey the legal (let alone cultural) situation in regard to racial
classification in Louisiana, so I'm not sure who a "black" slaveholder would
be there.  I assume studies of that state must be more specific on that
point.

Likewise, look at the situation in antebellum Virginia.  Newly-freed slaves
were required by law to leave the state unless they successfully petition to
remain, and free blacks could be (and were) resold for terms of labor if
they were arrested without their free papers.  In such a situation, it
doesn't seem surprising that ownership by friends and family members might
be a better strategy to keep people together.  Since the statistical
evidence is largely based in the census or tax lists, I'm not sure how much
one can generalize about motitvations anyway.

A question.  Didn't the Va legislature outlaw the holding of slaves by free
blacks other than family members in the late antebellum period?  I seem to
recall such a law.

Gregg

Gregg D. Kimball
Director of Publications