From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:50:03 -0500
You assume that the census taker recorded the designation based on
information from the resident rather than on observation.  I don't think
this is necessarily true.  There are many discrepancies in race in the
census, especially where the same person's race was given differently from
one census to another.  Some people may not have even thought of themselves
as one of the "official" categories such as "mulatto."

Gregg

Gregg D. Kimball
Director of Publications
  and Educational Services