From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:20:51 -0400

Hi Folks,

Thanks to all who have been passing along these pieces of information.  For your consideration....

1. John Fea was scheduled to speak about “Religious Beliefs of the Founding Fathers” at the November 16 meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond.  Unfortunately, due to a family health issue, John must reschedule.  Soon, we hope.  Curtis Morgan has stepped up to assist us with “Nathanael Greene’s Northern Apprenticeship,” a topic from a forthcoming essay collection on Greene.

2.  This Sunday, October 30, Harry Ward will be discussing and singing copies of his 18th book For Virginia and For Independence: Twenty-Eight Revolutionary War Soldiers From the Old Dominion.  Harry will be at Book People at 536 Granite Ave, Richmond from 2 – 4 PM.  804-288-4346  Come out and say hello to Harry.

3. Steve Darley sent information about his new book Voices From A Wilderness Expedition: The Journals and Men of Benedict Arnold’s Expedition to Quebec in 1775.  Steve says while not a history of the day to day expedition, it has a number of new and interesting information regarding the journals and men who were on the expedition.   Here’s an Amazon link.  http://www.amazon.com/Voices-Wilderness-Expedition-Journals-Benedict/dp/1456761064/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319495162&sr=1-1

4.  Although a distance from Richmond, this sounds exciting
An Invitation to Travel a Commemorative American Revolution Trail

The Princeton Battlefield Society will host a November 12 commemorative
trail to kick off the 235th anniversary of Washington's Crossing, the
Battles of Trenton and Princeton, and George Washington's winter march to
Morristown.  A detailed map of the route, with turn-by-turn directions, will
be available, starting at Washington Crossing Park from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
Towns and historical societies will be helping along the 70 mile route by
displaying flags and, for some, offering educational programs.  Special
activities will be held at the Princeton Battlefield.

Join us and help us commemorate the 235th anniversary.  We are planning on a
beautiful Fall day for an individual or family outing.

We are offering space on the beautiful map for advertisements or personal
messages.

If you need more information or will consider support of the map for this
commemorative program, please contact Joe Carney at [log in to unmask]

5.  This is from Jenny Cote.

I wanted to let you know about a project that I've just gotten plugged into this past week. I don't know if you've heard about the new film series, "Courage, New Hampshire," that takes place in the pre-Revolutionary War years. Here is the link to their site: http://www.colonybay.net  Episode one has been filmed and released on DVD, and you can see the trailer at the link above. Episode two is underway. They are still determining where and how they want to distribute the series - History Channel, Fox and PBS have all expressed interest in airing it, but they may end up going in a different direction. The quality is outstanding, and what's neat is that this series tells the story of the common people behind the scenes in the Revolution. Watch the trailer, and better yet, order the DVD! It's spectacular! I would appreciate you letting the Round Table know about it, as it is an exciting new platform for telling the story of the Revolution! I am in discussions with them about novelizing the series as well, and they have school curriculum that is going into circulation now.

6.  Linda Gervin from Savas Beatie alerted us to -

American Revolution author Mark Wilensky, who wrote The Elementary Common Sense of Thomas Paine and just won the 2011 Gilder Lehrman Colorado History Teacher of the Year Award. The award ceremony is in October. Please click on this link to see the release: http://www.savasbeatie.com/article_020.htm
Book: The Elementary Common Sense of Thomas Paine: An Interactive Adaptation for All Ages
Website: http://newcommonsensebook.com/
Common Sense book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws5WP2lK0g8
Mr. Wilensky is a fifth grade teacher in Jefferson County. His book is for readers of all ages and is used in many Colorado history classrooms. It offers colonial history sprinkled with audio, video, and text graphics linked to a dynamic website. This adaptation includes the original Common Sense, plus a new adapted version in plain language everyone can understand today. Also included are activities based on National Curriculum Standards for classroom use.

I hope to see you at the November meeting.  Details will follow.  If you wish to be removed from this list, please send a note to [log in to unmask]  Thanks.

Bill Welsch