From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2011 23:11:24 -0400

Hi Folks,

Please forgive this note coming so close to the last.  But the information is timely.

1.  From member Sarah Pace about that “other war.”  But we’re still happy to help our history neighbors in Henrico County.

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know about Henrico County’s 400th anniversary commemoration of the American Civil War.

We need your support for the Civil War events that are being held in commemoration of the 150th anniversary.

If we don’t support Civil War presentations then one day the Civil War, one of the most important events in American history, may become just a footnote in a history book.

These events are free but just the symposium and the 1860’s Social need registration so they know how many to expect.

Attached along with event flyers is a photo of the view from Tree Hill of the City of Richmond. Tree Hill is the site where Mayor Mayo rode out to arrange for the surrender of the city.

Hope you can join us.

The following speakers and topics will be featured at the Symposium held Sept.23 at the Henrico Theatre:

John Coski - James River naval operations

Bob Krick - Battle of Yellow Tavern

Frank O’Reilly -Battle of Malvern Hill

Jimmy Price-Battle of New Market Heights

The 1860 Social on Sept. 23 at Tree Hill will feature foods and dancing  of the period. Period dress optional

At the Tree Hill Event on the 24th the following living history will be presented:

Musicians in the Field - Jacob Miller (harmonica)

Home Sweet Home - (shelters)

Federal Field Hospital

"Ladies on the Ward" - [Confederate Tent Hospital]

Civil War CVS - [Pharmacy]

Stars and Bars- [Confederate flags]

She Went to War - [Female Soldier]

Zouave - Charles Chenault (both Federal & Confederate)

Ladies' Aide Societies

Fashion "Back in the Day" - [male/female original clothing]

Fortifications - Demonstration of how they were made.

Shortages & Substitutions

Secession in Virginia

From the Hall of Montezuma - [ Federal & Confederate Marine]

Infantry Drilling – All Infantry who are there without specific a station Steve Haden  Commanding

Artillery from the National Park Service in Petersburg

Cavalry Demonstration - 6th Va. Cavalry

Mourning display - Kathy Maitland

Exhibitors will include:

The Virginia Historical Society

Museum of the Confederacy

The American Civil War Center at Tredegar

The Central Virginia Civil War Collectors Association

The Archeological Society of Virginia

National Park Service

Gray Land and Development Company, LLC

Henrico County Historical Society

African American

Henrico 2011 Commission

Violet Bank

Wisteria Parry- Slave narrative

Stars and Bars

Lamar Bannister

Sun. September 25 - Demonstrations and Tours will be given at Fort Harrison

For additional information call (804)839-2407 or  visit www.henrico400th.com

Thanks

~Sarah

2.  This is from Charles Baxley of SCAR, inviting us to two upcoming events.

1st - We’ll meet in Cheraw, SC on Saturday, November 12th for our next Roundtable.  This is an informal gathering of professionals and amateurs, who make presentations, discuss research interests and problems and have fellowship on topics concerning our Revolutionary period.  You may attend and make a presentation if you like, generally limited to 15 minute, or just enjoy our interactions.  On Saturday afternoon we will tour to the local colonial and Revolutionary War sites in Cheraw: the extant 18th c. St. David’s Parish Church, British hospital and graves, and sites of Eli Kershaw’s store and the 71st Regiment’s camps; the Pee Dee River boat landing and old Town Green, with three historic buildings; and an 18th c. home.  We are also planning a car-pooled tour of area sites east of the Pee Dee River the next morning (Sunday) if you can stay-over to see Gen. Nathanael Greene’s Hicks Creek camp; Claudius Pegues Place, extant 18th c. home and the site of the prisoner exchange cartel; and the grave of NC militia Gen. Henry William Harrington.  At 3:00 pm on Sunday afternoon, St. David’s Church will hold a memorial service and dedicate a new headstone to the unknown Scottish soldiers buried at old St. David’s cemetery.

2nd – Meet at Fort Mill, SC the following Saturday, November 19th, for our Corps of Discovery – Lord Cornwallis retreats, with his tail between his legs, to his camp of repose in Winnsborough, SC.  Gathering at the Rush Pavilion in the Anne Springs Close Greenway, we will have a car-pool tour of extant segments of the Nations Ford Road following Lord Cornwallis’ inglorious retreat from Charlotte; we’ll go to Thomas Spratt’s home site, site of a colonial fort, and cemetery, near the (now inaccessible) Nation Ford; cross Steele Creek where Rawdon made the Loyalists act as draft animals; and on to Land’s Ford where Cornwallis’ Army finally crossed the Catawba River.  We have a day full of sites and experts to tell the story of this British “strategic retreat”.  This Corps of Discovery is our third in the trilogy covering the first British invasion of Charlotte, North Carolina.

Both of these events are free, public invited, and will have moderately-priced “Dutch Treat” lunch catered.

Charles B. Baxley

3.  Finally, from Ann Spenser of the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities.

     Lunchtime Talks with Virginia Foundation for the Humanities Fellows

 VFH Fellow John A. Ragosta
 Patrick Henry: Federalist

Tuesday, October 11, 2011
              12:00 PM - 1: 00 PM
Charlottesville City Council Chambers
City Hall 605 E. Main St. map it
Charlottesville, VA 22901

Lectures are free and open to the public.

Patrick Henry argued long and eloquently on behalf of states' rights in his unsuccessful effort to prevent ratification of the U.S. Constitution in 1788. His defense of states' rights has become a classic text for those concerned with excessive federal power. In 1799, however, George Washington encouraged Henry to reenter politics largely in response to the radical states' rights theory of nullification, espoused by Thomas Jefferson in the Kentucky Resolutions. Ailing, Henry returned to the lists in the belief that the nation was endangered. He successfully campaigned for a position in the Virginia House of Delegates but died before he could take office. Patrick Henry, the greatest of the anti-federalists, died a federalist. John Ragosta will discuss how Henry (and Washington) understood politics in the latter part of the 1790s and, in particular, how they saw a middle ground between Alexander Hamilton's "high federalism" and Jefferson's states' rights republicanism—a middle ground that Ragosta contends may have disappeared forever with the rise of party politics in Jefferson's election to the presidency in 1800.
For more information, contact Ann White Spencer, aspencer@virginia, or visit our web site www.VirginiaHumanities.org.

John Ragosta is a historian, lawyer, and beekeeper who lives in Charlottesville. He is a 2011-12 resident fellow at the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities. Previously, he was the Gilder Lehrman Junior Research Fellow at the Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies at Monticello. His first book, “Wellspring of Liberty: How Virginia’s Religious Dissenters Helped to Win the American Revolution & Secured Religious Liberty,” was published in 2010 by Oxford University Press. He is working on a second book tentatively titled “Religious Freedom: Jefferson's Legacy, Our Heritage” (forthcoming University of Virginia Press). Ragosta has taught history at the University of Virginia and Randolph College and law at the University of Virginia and George Washington University. Ragosta has degrees in early American history, law, and physics-chemistry.

I hope to see you all tomorrow night at the regular ARRT-Richmond meeting http://arrt-richmond.org/3.html.  If you wish to be removed from this list, please send me an email at [log in to unmask]  Thanks.

Bill Welsch