From:
"Kimball, Gregg (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2023 14:44:55 +0000
For those wishing to delve more deeply into folk beliefs, all five volumes of Harry Middleton Hyatt's massive compilation, Hoodoo--Conjuration--Witchcraft--Rootwork, are available on the Internet Archive.

The continued importance of dreams in folk culture is suggested by the persistence of lucky dream books. These are used to translate dreams into "lucky numbers" in order to play the lottery, or "policy" as it was called back in the day. Aficionados of early Blues music will be familiar with this through songs such as "Playing Policy Blues" by Blind Blake.

Gregg

Dr. Gregg D. Kimball

Director of Public Services and Outreach

 804.692.3722    804.909.4501

 800 East Broad St. | Richmond, VA 23219

 www.lva.virginia.gov