From:
"Kimball, Gregg (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2023 16:13:48 +0000
I found this book helpful when investigating Black folk beliefs and their connection to religion.

Yvonne P. Chireau, Black Magic: Religion and the African American Conjuring Tradition (University of California Press, 2006).

Hampton Institute's journal, the Southern Workman, which is digitized in the Library's Chronicling Virginia database, often ran stories regarding various aspects of folk belief including hoodoo, root work, and the like. No doubt there are  comments about religion as well.

Gregg

Dr. Gregg D. Kimball

Director of Public Services and Outreach

 804.692.3722    804.909.4501

 800 East Broad St. | Richmond, VA 23219

 www.lva.virginia.gov