From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 20:59:16 -0400
Herb,

First of all, it is possible that Dolley was present when Madison was born,
perhaps on a private visit to Monticello that never appeared anywhere. It is
also possible, since Madison would not have been exactly cognizant at that
point in his life, it was something told to him either by his mother, or by
someone else at Monticello.

I cannot say I am an expert on Madison Hemings - in fact I know only a
little - but one thing that stood out was the fact that people who knew him
respected him for his honesty and integrity. If these were his hallmarks or
trademarks, why would he deliberately throw them away for a moment of glory
in a newspaper story? It just is not logical.

With that statement of the events of his birth squared away, let's look at
what else he shared with that newspaperman that was published at the time
when it was not history.

I guess I will have to go look up that newspaper story and read it for
myself. If I was inclined to throw out the baby with the bath water, I could
never have been successful as a teacher!

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org