From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 06:40:38 -0500
Alas, I am getting to old to make another round with a State Song.  I tried
valantly last year with my 1993 march BAND OF THE SHENANDOAH which had a
nice beat, wove in three Virginia-related songs, and even today survives in
the opening of the video at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley in
Winchester.  The VMI Regimental Band gives a spirited performance therin.

There are a number of problems with getting a state song.  The second
biggest is that people think "Virginia Music" is primarily a derivative of
Country, consequently we invariably get twanging geetars and pale imitations
Patsy Cline or The ____ Brothers (I forget their names, from Staunton.)  I'm
of the'old school'.  I recall singing lustily, or as lustily as a 5th grader
can sing, out of THE GOLDEN BOOK OF FAVORITE SONGS in the auditorium of
Meadowbrook School in Norfolk ca. 1943-44.  Now those songs seemed to really
hit the spot.

But the #1 problem is bottom-up vs top-down generation of the song.
Top-Down is the usual approach, and interestingly enough, Virginia has seen
both successes and failures of it.  The biggest failure, and to be honest
was not only Virginia, was the attempt in the late 19th century to re-write
the words to "Dixie" to something more appropriate than a
minstrel-show-cake-walk.  This went on for years, and eventually all parties
concluded that if   "Buckwheat cake and injun batter make you fat and a
little fatter..." were good enough to march, fight and die by during The
War, then the original lyrics were good enough to keep.

The single success story of which I am aware of a massive contest producing
a fine, long-lived institutional song comes right back to Virginia, and that
is the Army Air Corps Song.  In 1937, Gen. "Hap" Arnold decided the fledging
Army Air Corps needed a song, so started the ball rolling on what became a
nation-wide contest.  Over 500 entries were received, from people musically
well placed such as Irving Berlin and Paul Whitemen, and even a young
Meredith Wilson.  The winner was selected in 1939 and was ...... ta...da....
Robert Crawford.  (who he??).  A pilot himself, I think captured the spirit
of those P6's and B-18's zipping around the sky.  Needless to say, his song
continues today as the "US Air Force Song."  And to tie it firmly back to
Virginia, I understand that there is a 'Crawford Hall' on Langley Air Force
Base to honor him.

So all that having been said, I think that I'll just ride Jamestown into the
sunset.

Randy Cabell - The Trumpter of Jamestowne