From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:24:08 -0400
  Professor Hardwick has spelled out in fine detail, what Edmund Morgan tried to
teach us about Virginia a generation ago.  In American Slavery, American Freedom, Morgan wrote
(I paraphrase from memory) "Slavery become a flying buttress for freedom."

Harold