VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2023

From:
Lonny Watro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2023 00:18:14 -0500
I went to the Nelson County Court House today to look for a marriage
license from 1824. All that they have is a marriage registry. They don't
have the original marriage license during this time period. Not a true
problem though, because this couple is in the death registry which names
their parents.

Does anyone know why there are no original marriage licenses during this
time period in Nelson County? Were the originals destroyed, or never saved
by the clerk of court? Or are they at LVA?

I also need a copy of a marriage record if it exists for Hudson Martin and
Jane Walker Lewis. According to Ancestry records, the marriage occurred in
Albemarle County on 2 Dec 1770. I couldn't located it on FamilySearch.
Maybe I didn't see the correct set of images.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Lonny Jo Brown Watro
Hobbyist of History & Genealogy
Moneta, VA
myvirginiapeeps.wixsite.com/myvirginiapeeps

https://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html