VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2022

From:
Virginia Public <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:27:35 +0000
Hailey Fenner, Virginia Museum of History and Culture
History of Thanksgivings

Tuesday, 29 November, 7 pm EST
 https://tinyurl.com/GRIVAThanksgivingNov2022

Who held the first Thanksgiving?  Agricultural societies have long offered prayers of thanks, and developed rituals, celebrating harvests. The origin of the holiday, from Native American harvest ceremonies to the competing claims of who had “the first” will be our focus. We'll look at various traditions, often regional in nature, that have coalesced to form the holiday now celebrated throughout the United States. Who was first? Was it the English in Virginia or the Pilgrims at Plimoth (Plymouth) Plantation? We'll see!
Hailey Fenner is the Manager of Digital Learning at the Virginia Museum of History & Culture. She has been with the VMHC since 2014 and is excited to bring the stories of Virginia history to audiences across the nation and the world through HistoryConnects, the VMHC’s distance learning initiative for student and adult audiences, and virtual field trips, webinars and virtual exhibit tours.
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture, owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society (a private, nonprofit organization) is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia. Collecting, preserving, and interpreting the  Commonwealth’s history, connects the past to the present and inspires future generations.

https://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html