VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2011

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 16:57:40 -0600
Steve,

Here are the children of Jeremiah Hatcher. The inventory was taken Nov 1822.

1 - Nancy bn 1804 md Jan 1822
2 - William bn 1806
3 - Jane bn c1808
4 - James bn c1810
5 - Jeremiah bn 1812
6 - Archibald bn c1814
7 - Wilson bn c1816

The guts of the will seems to indicate either death or marriage of the
widow, Elizabeth.

"Item It is further my Will and desire that in the event of the Death or
marriage of my Wife Elizabeth that my Estate with its Increase if any be
disposed of in the following manner, in case of her marriage I lend unto
her during her natural life one third part of my Estate to be
ascertained by valuation; the balance at the same time be equally
divided between my seven children before named.

  item, It is further my Will and desire that in case of neither death
nor marriage of my wife Elizabeth before all or any of my children
before named should arrive at lawful age or marry, that each as they
respectively arrive at lawful age or marry receive out of my estate one
horse and saddle and one feather bed which property when so received is
to make a part of their respective proportions."

I'm reading this to mean that each child as they are of age or marry
will receive a horse, saddle and feather bed. NO REASON to call for an
inventory at that time. That seems to preclude Nancy demanding her
inheritance after she married.

The date of this Inventory seems to imply that Elizabeth has either died
or remarried before Nov 1822. As I mentioned there may be a marriage of
an Elizabeth where we've assigned her to the wrong parents. To the best
of my knowledge there was no other document for this case in the Bedford
Wills & Deeds so no "final distribution" available. Nothing found in the
chancery cases.

Which brings me to Harold Gill's suggestion - check the court order
books to see what prompted the taking of this Inventory. Thank you,
Harold!!!! That is a weakness in my ongoing education - not knowing what
prompts each action in the overall process.

Sooo - Am I heading down the right road in my thinking??

Nel

HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~halldna/HDNAtest.htm