VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2011

From:
William M <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:38:20 -0400
Many readers will think immediately of the Virginia House on the James River
owned by the Virginia Historical Society. But I am referring to what became
the most prevalent method of house construction used by the common planter
and yeoman not just on the expanding frontier but throughout the Chesapeake
Bay area from the mid seventeenth century to the mid eighteenth century. The
frame was not like anything constructed in England at the time. The framing
method came about through the adaptation of the settlers to their new
heavily forested, humid environment and through experimentation with various
framing techniques from old England to learn what worked best. The result
was a simple, quick and economic house - highly suitable to the colonists
limited budgets and their immediate needs.

Once again I am indebted to the Library of Virginia staff for their
assistance with this project which was basically a literature review to
satisfy my curiosity about in what kind of house my ancestor might have
lived in the Orange County of the 1730s and 1740s. You may read more at my
website link:

http://www.milaminvirginia.com/Links/HOUSES/colonial_virginia_and_maryland_h
ouses.html

William Milam