VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2011

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2011 19:58:57 -0600
To Sharpe [first name unknown :-(

You sent this:
*Hawkins v. Hatcher, Bedford, 1832-047.  States that Jeremiah Hatcher
Junr died before his father (senr), and that the father devised in his
will 60 acres on the north fork of the Otter to the heirs of Jeremiah
junr, along with slaves Arthur and Lidy.  Further states that the widow
of Jeremiah senior has died (Edith).  Petition to sell the land as it is
hard to divide 60 acres 7 ways.  Names the 7 heirs of Benjamin Hatcher
Junr --  Nancy E. Hatcher (wife of George Hawkins), William L. Hatcher,
Jane J. Hatcher, Jeremiah G. Hatcher, Archibald P. Hatcher, Wilson C.
Hatcher and Caleb Henry Hatcher.  Land sold and proceeds distributed to
the seven heirs.  No reference to the widow of Jeremiah junr, as she had
no interest in the property.*
---------------------

I would need to ask your source for the above because I believe this is
an earlier researcher's wrong assumption regarding the children of
Jeremiah JR. My research indicates that Caleb Henry could not have been
JR's son. The above is clearly incorrect in stating that JR died before
his father, SR, the list of children omits James Harvey and evens it out
by adding Caleb. JR wrote a will ID'ing his 7 kids. That will is posted
on our site at
http://hatcherfamilyassn.com/getperson.php?personID=I39485&tree=WmTheIm
and, of course, you found it. Another researcher included James Harvey
but assumed Wilson Cary had died and that Caleb was born after JR's
death. But Wilson died in 1836 and the only mention of that was found in
a small death notice in the Lynchburg newspaper. He was unmarried and no
other records were found for him.

I believe Caleb and Spencer were the children of Edmund, son of SR and
older brother of JR. Edmund died before SR  and the abstract on SR's
page states [slaves] Jacob & Charlotte to Edmund Hatcher's heirs.

Mea culpa - I did shorten the description to just an inventory until I
looked at the document again. It IS an inventory AND appraisal.  I now
have the document and the transcription on JR's page at
http://hatcherfamilyassn.com/getperson.php?personID=I39485&tree=WmTheIm

You wrote:
Creed Bozwell to Elizabeth Hatcher, 31 Oct 1821 Frankllin Co *[Who was
security on bond?]*

I do not have the actual rec but only the ancestry marriage entry. This
is on my list of gotta' haves.

You wrote:
*If Elizabeth, widow of Jeremiah Junr, married again, then who is the
Elizabeth Hatcher, age 64 (b 1785-86) in the 1850 census living next to
William L. Hatcher and family?

*I believe this is Elizabeth, widow of EDMUND and mother of Caleb and
Spencer Hatcher. You will also find her in 1830 with 2 males the age of
C and S. I do not know where Elizabeth, widow of Jeremiah JR, is but she
should have had more than just 2 males in her census. She may be living
with a member of the Jeter family OR she's dead OR she's remarried.

You wrote:
*A clue is who returned the appraisement.  Was Archibald still
executor?  Or had he resigned and been replaced by an administrator with
the will annexed?  Was there pressure from Hawkins to get his share?  A
change in administration of the estate could trigger an inventory.

*I am still digging thru the docs I rec'd and have found a partial page
dated 10-26-1821 with Archie still the executor.  This appears to be an
accounting of his payouts from the estate for about a two month period.
Let me find the rest of it and I'll report back...........

But the appraisal was returned as follows:

Given under our hands this 20th of December 1822..

[Signed]
Nelson A Thomson
John Noell
Peter Hunter

Thanks a bunch for your input!! I much appreciate it.

Nel

HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~halldna/HDNAtest.htm