VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2008

From:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 08:28:29 -0700
_The Registers of North Farnham Parish 1663-1814 and Lunenburg Parish
1783-1800, Richmond County, VA_, compiled and published by George Harrison
Sanford King (Fredericksburg, VA, 1966), p. 195: "M. WEBB, JOHN and Mary
Samford, 14 July 1673.
"B. WEBB, JAMES son of John and Mary Webb, 9 August 1673.
"B. WEBB, GILES son of John and Mary Webb, 15 April 1677. . . .
"B. WEBB, ISAAC son of John and Mary Webb, 18 December 1681."

Sam Sparacio <[log in to unmask]> post to VA-ROOTS 26 Feb 1998:
"Northumberland County Deeds & Wills 1666-1670 and a portion of 1706-1711.
WEBB, Thomas Will made 11 Sept 1702, rec. 16 Sept 1702. Eldest Son, Thomas,
Youngest Son, John, Dau Elizabeth; Son Thomas's Grandfather, James Austen;
Brothers Francis Webb and John Webb both deceased; Wife Ann Webb. Richard
Wright and Thomas Hobson to oversee Estate until Thomas arrives to age
eighteen. Thomas, Son, named sole Exr."

I wouldn't read too much into the forename Giles. It was a fairly popular
male name in the 16th and 17th centuries in England. It's always possible
that it came from a family surname, but it's equally likely to be a
Christian name.

The John Webb who was in Richmond Co by 1673 and who m. Mary SAMFORD may
well be the son of Giles the immigrant. Thomas WEBB d 1702 may be the
brother of this John WEBB. Does anyone know of documentary proof? Can anyone
supply evidence connecting them?

Sorry I can't help with these Smiths.

Kathleen
The Book Doctor