VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2008

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2008 16:47:23 -0700
Dear all,

Came across this gem while doing some unrelated research:

"1638

July 4	   119. Report of Attorney General Sir John Bankes and R.
Wanderford, Attorney of the Court of Wards, to the Privy Council.
The custody of any idiot in Virginia belongs to the King, and is in
his disposal, according to the laws of England."

Calendar of State Papers, Colonial Series, 1574-1660, Public Record
Office, ed. Sainsbury, Longman, Green, etc., London (1860), p.280

Not sure how many of our relatives were directly endangered by this,
but I can guess at a few that should have been a little concerned.
As for the King's apparent desire for the idiots of Virginia -- I'm
fairly certain it had to do with those cases where the deranged had a
little property that might be better off in royal hands.

Jack Fallin
Walnut Creek, CA