VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2008

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2008 00:15:42 -0400
As demi-mondaine was used in England in the late 18th-19th centuries it referred to a woman who lived in the shadow world -- not acknowledged by good society, but above a common trull or streetwalker.  All demi-mondaines were prostitutes but not all prostitutes were demi-mondaines.  A demi-mondaine might become a long term mistress, but the term usually referred to one who was more independent in the distribution of her favors.  Many demi-mondaines maintained their own salons and their society was actively sought by men of the better class (no lady would ever acknowledge the existence of such creatures.)  Harriette Wilson was the quintessential English demi-mondaine.

The term was never in general usage in the USA with the exception of in, perhaps, New Orleans.  I'm amazed that a census taker in Campbell County in 1900 was erudite enough to use the term.

FYI, my French dictionary defines demi-mondaine as a "femme de moeurs légères" -- a woman of light morals.

Kathy