VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2008

From:
"Richwine, Beth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richwine, Beth
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 08:32:44 -0400
Joyce Ann Murr was cared for by her grand daughter-in-law, my
grandmother, Katherine Lohr Richwine in Urbanna, Va. until her death 26
Dec. 1927.  She was born in North Carolina, 4 Jun 1844, probably in
Salisbury.  Her parents were George Michael Murr, b. about 1800? and
Julie Ann.  I don't really have any more information about them. Julie
Ann was living with her son John Edgar Richwine and his wife Joyce in
Salisbury, NC for the 1880 census (Vol. 20, sheet 23, ED 246, Line 50,
Rowen Co., Salisbury) and the 1870 census (page 16, Dwelling 86, Family
86).  The Rowan Township, NC census (reel no. 369)for 1840 lists a
George M. Murr with a number of males and females in the household.
Joyce was John's second wife.  She applied for his pension (Enlisted Aug
13, 1861, Discharged July 16, 1865, 17th infantry, Ohio volunteers) in
1891 after he died in 1882.  He died in Salisbury, NC 29 Aug 1882.  They
were married 25 Dec 1867 in Salisbury, NC. They had 10 kids, he had one
by his first marriage. There is a lot more about that situation in the
pension record if you want to contact me directly.  Joyce may have had
brothers George, William and Alexander?  But I am not sure about that.
There is a M.A./B. Murr living next door on the 1870 census about 10
years older.  After John died Joyce moved to Richmond, Va.  Joyce I
believe is buried in Saluda, Va, but I have never gone to look at the
grave.
Beth Richwine